Autodesk and 3DConnexion have teamed up to bring the technology of 3D Mice to the forefront of the BIM process. Revit Architecture 2012, Revit Structure 2012, Revit MEP 2012, and Navisworks 2012 have all added new functionality for 3D Mice. A is a new kind of input device for computers that seeks to combine the traditional keyboard and mouse into one input device that can carry out all of the common viewing functions for a 3D Model. With a 3D Mouse, your keyboard hand is able to carry out functions more freely as all of your pans, zooms, tilts, etc. are handled by the 3D Mouse. To better understand how a 3D Mouse works, you can watch a video from 3DConnexion here.
According to the press release put out by 3DConnexion and Autodesk, Revit offers a comprehensive level of support for 3Dconnexion’s 3D mice, with an enhanced workflow at every step of the design process, including:
- 3D Modeling: Leveraging a two-handed workflow with a 3D mouse and traditional mouse results in intuitive and precise 3D navigation and a more fluid, productive design process.
- Conceptual Design & Review: Leveraging the superior navigation features of 3D mice, architects are able to easily visualize a building or model at the beginning of a project for a more tangible connection to a design, as well as aid in the earlier detection of design flaws
- Client Presentation: 3D mice help clients visualize a project with cinematic-like motions and smooth transitions from one perspective to another, giving the viewer a sense of being in the actual space
- User Interface: An intuitive navigation bar features options for controlling the view, including navigation modes, keeping the scene upright, center tool, and 3Dconnexion driver control panel
- 2D and 3D Navigation: When working in 3D, users can quickly switch between object and walk/fly camera modes within the conceptual design, 3D model or client presentation; in 2D, designers can continue editing while working in detail sheets and section views with easy pan and zoom functionality
- Button Mapping: 3Dconnexion’s Professional Series products feature programmable function keys for instant access to commonly used application commands, and QuickView Navigation keys for one-touch access to specific views
Author: Mark Philipp