Starting From: $84.95
fischertechnik da Vinci Machines
Includes the didactic activity booklet Machines from Leonardo da Vinci.
Technological Innovations--The Precursors of Modern MachineryThis construction set allows students to re-create several of the mechanical marvels originally conceived by Leonardo da Vinci. This is history you can touch!
Over 250 components for building the following models:
- Mechanical Wings
- Blacksmiths Tongs
- Crane with Pawl
- Stone Tongs
- Self-releasing Hook
- Scaling Ladder
- Drum Wagon
- File Cutting Machine
- Swing Bridge
Includes 54 page full color construction book with detailed instructions for building all of the above models, a multi-language, black and white teaching guide/activity booklet with background on Leonardo daVinci and his inventions, as well as various suggested tasks for students to interact with the models.
STORAGE SUGGESTION: with each Profi da Vinci Machines set we recommend 3 Sorting Box 500--258x186 (#94828) with dividers and 1 Base Plate 258x186 Cover (#32985).
SpecificationsSTORAGE SUGGESTION: with each Profi da Vinci Machines set we recommend 3 Sorting Box 500--258x186 (#94828) with dividers and 1 Base Plate 258x186 Cover (#32985).
Additional Information for Educators and Administrators
Use in classes addressing the following topics:
Science, Engineering, History, Fundamentals of Physics, Art, Simple Machinery.
Specific concepts addressed with this set:
- Simple Machinery
- Leonardo da Vinci -- an overview of his life
Mechanical Wings--learn about Leonardo’s study of bird’s wings and the pattern of their movement, and how he applied these findings to try to achieve flight. Build a model of the mechanical wing.
Blacksmith’s Tongs—learn how Leonardo’s invention improved upon the original blacksmith’s tool by both increasing tension force and saving energy. Build a model of the blacksmith’s tong’s and find ways this could still be a useful tool today.
Crane with Pawl—use of pawl mechanism to improve safety of cranes with heavy loads—explore it’s function by building a working model.
Stone Tongs with Self Releasing Hook--build a model of this invention and experiment with how this labor saving device functions.
Catapult—build a working model to explore Leonardo’s use of a quick tensioning device and release catch in one along with a worm gear.
Chariot—learn how Leonardo’s use of gears and centrifugal force revolutionized this device, and build a working model.
Scaling Ladder—originally used in the Middle Ages as an implement of war, Leonardo’s innovations both helped to improve stability and increased the weight load this could bear. This invention is the precursor of the modern turntable ladder which is still used today, for example on fire trucks.
Drum Wagon—used in parades and for warfare. Build a working model to learn how it functions.
File Cutting Machine—equipment that can beat indentations into a file blank automatically. This invention of daVinci’s can be seen as the basis of modern industrial manufacturing. Build a working model to understand and study it’s function. Students are then asked to improve the machine by installing a safety mechanism.
Swing Bridge—build a working model to understand and study it’s function.
Academic Standards and BenchmarksUse of the PROFI da Vinci Machines set along with the included multi-language teaching and activity guide will help to support the following standards and benchmarks outlined in the
“Standards for Technological Literacy”as developed by the International Technology Education Association (ITEA):
- Standard 1: Students will develop an understanding of the characteristics and scope of technology
- Benchmarks D, E, F, G, H, L
- Standard 2: Students will develop an understanding of the core concepts of technology.
- Benchmarks K
- Standard 3: Students will develop an understanding of the relationships among technologies and the connections between technology and other fields of study.
- Benchmarks B, C, D, E, F, G, J
- Standard 4: Students will develop an understanding of the cultural, social, economic, and potential effects of technology.
- Benchmarks A, D, E, G
- Standard 6: Students will develop an understanding of the role of society in the development and use of technology.
- Benchmarks B, C, D, E, F
- Standard 7: Students will develop an understanding of the influence of technology on history.
- Benchmarks B, C, D, G, H, M
- Standard 8: Students will develop an understanding of the attributes of design.
- Benchmark E
- Standard 9: Students will develop an understanding of engineering design.
- Benchmarks D, E, H, J, K, L
- Standard 10: Students will develop an understanding of the role of troubleshooting, research and development, invention and innovation, and experimentation in problem solving.
- Benchmarks C, D, E, F, G, H, L
- Standard 12: Students will develop the abilities to use and maintain technological products and systems.
- Benchmarks D, H, O
- Standard 13: Students will develop the abilities to assess the impact of products and systems.
- Benchmark E
- Standard 16: Students will develop an understanding of and be able to select and use energy and power technologies.
- Benchmark D