Starting From: $84.95
fischertechnik da Vinci Machines
fischertechnik da Vinci Machines combines some of Leonardo da Vinci's most innovative mechanical designs. This construction set offers builders ten different models, including: the printing press, file cutting machine, pivoting bridge, odometer, chariot and more. This is history you can re-create! The accompanying activity booklet provides numerious illustrations and descriptions of the original designs from Leonardo da Vinci - information certainly worth learning. Play, build and learn invaluable STEM concepts as you construct some of history's lasting technology.
Features of fischertechnik da Vinci Machines
Re-create a collection of the mechanical marvals originally conceived by Leonardo da Vinci. This set is great for builders interested in learning the foundations of technology and engineering. It addresses the following topics: Science, Engineering, History, Fundamentals of Physics, Art, and Simple Machinery.
With over 260 fischertechnik parts, this set is recommended for builders age 9 and above. It includes the following models:
Learn about Leonardo’s study of birds' wings and the pattern of their movement. Discover how he applied these findings to try to achieve flight. Build a model of the mechanical wing.
Learn how Leonardo’s invention improved upon the original blacksmith’s tool by both increasing tension force and saving energy. Build a model of the blacksmith’s tongs and find ways this could still be a useful tool today.
Crane with Pawl
Find out how use of a pawl mechanism can improve safety of cranes with heavy loads. Explore its function by building a working model.
Stone Tongs with Self-Releasing Hook (2 machines in 1)
Build a model of this invention and experiment with how this labor saving device functions.
Build a working model to explore Leonardo’s use of a quick tensioning device and release catch, combined in a single machine. This model also includes a worm gear.
Learn how Leonardo’s use of gears and centrifugal force revolutionized this device, and build a working model.
Originally used in the Middle Ages as an implement of war, Leonardo’s innovations both helped to improve stability and increased the weight load this could bear. This invention is the precursor of the modern turntable ladder, which is still used today - for example, on fire trucks.
Often used in parades and for warfare. Build a working model to learn how it functions.
File Cutting Machine
This machince can automatically create indentations into a file blank. This da Vinci invention can be seen as the basis of modern industrial manufacturing. Build a working model to understand and study its function. Students are then asked to improve the machine by installing a safety mechanism.
Build a working swing bridge to understand and study its function.
The included 54-page, full-color construction book guides builders through the construction of all 10 of the above models. It also provides you with a teaching guide/activity booklet, which contains background on the inventor Leonardo da Vinci and suggests various assignments for students to interact with the models. These reference materials are available in multiple languages.
Recommended for ages 9+.
This set includes 10 models with more than 260 parts.
See the "Parts list for fischertechnik da Vinci Machines - 500882" under the Resources tab for specific part information.
Resources & Learning Material
Academic Standards and BenchmarksUse of the PROFI da Vinci Machines set along with the included multi-language teaching and activity guide will help to support the following standards and benchmarks outlined in the
“Standards for Technological Literacy”as developed by the International Technology Education Association (ITEA):
- Standard 1: Students will develop an understanding of the characteristics and scope of technology
- Benchmarks D, E, F, G, H, L
- Standard 2: Students will develop an understanding of the core concepts of technology.
- Benchmarks K
- Standard 3: Students will develop an understanding of the relationships among technologies and the connections between technology and other fields of study.
- Benchmarks B, C, D, E, F, G, J
- Standard 4: Students will develop an understanding of the cultural, social, economic, and potential effects of technology.
- Benchmarks A, D, E, G
- Standard 6: Students will develop an understanding of the role of society in the development and use of technology.
- Benchmarks B, C, D, E, F
- Standard 7: Students will develop an understanding of the influence of technology on history.
- Benchmarks B, C, D, G, H, M
- Standard 8: Students will develop an understanding of the attributes of design.
- Benchmark E
- Standard 9: Students will develop an understanding of engineering design.
- Benchmarks D, E, H, J, K, L
- Standard 10: Students will develop an understanding of the role of troubleshooting, research and development, invention and innovation, and experimentation in problem solving.
- Benchmarks C, D, E, F, G, H, L
- Standard 12: Students will develop the abilities to use and maintain technological products and systems.
- Benchmarks D, H, O
- Standard 13: Students will develop the abilities to assess the impact of products and systems.
- Benchmark E
- Standard 16: Students will develop an understanding of and be able to select and use energy and power technologies.
- Benchmark D