V-Ray for Maya for Studios
V-Ray® for Maya is the preferred rendering engine for the Film & VFX industry. The rendering engine delivers uncompromised stability, interactivity, ease of use and unprecedented speed and the vast multitude of features makes it the premier choice for the discerning professionals. V-Ray for Maya focuses on artist productivity and delivers a powerful new set of features and improvements to speed up lighting, look development and rendering workflows.
Features of V-Ray for Maya
Built to meet the creative demands of CG artists and modern production pipelines, V-Ray for Maya is a full suite of physically-based lighting, shading and rendering tools tightly integrated into Autodesk Maya.
- Intel® Embree Acceleration - for additional speed gains, V-Ray 3.0 includes an option to enable the Intel® Embree ray caster. Intel® Embree is integrated into the V-Ray core for static and motion-blurred geometry, proxy objects and instances.
- Cache Geometry and Textures - scene data and textures can now be cached in between renders. This reduces scene load time and makes iterating even faster.
- Dynamic Bucket Splitting automatically reduces the size of render buckets to maximize the use of multithreaded CPUs.
- Progressive Image Sampler delivers instant feedback to artists and makes lighting and look development quicker and more intuitive.
- V-Ray RT renders directly in the Maya viewport and supports final frame rendering and animated sequences.
- V-Ray RT CPU uses the new Progressive Image Sampler and supports a full range of production features.
- V-Ray RT GPU now supports Render Elements.
- Better Shading and Rendering of Hair and Fur - Improvements to character and creature workflows include optimized Hair and Fur, improved Subsurface Scattering and a new VRaySkinMtl shader.
- Render Mask to specify render regions using an object selection or image mask.
- Trace Sets control which objects are visible to reflections and refractions.
- Max Ray Intensity adds the ability to clamp secondary rays. This is an efficient way to remove noise generated by very bright sources while keeping dynamic range.
- GI Texture Filtering - Added an option to use different texture filtering for GI samples. This can significantly reduce memory usage for GI calculations.
- Distributed Rendering allows artists to use multiple computers working in parallel to render a single image.
- Deep Image support including OpenEXR 2.2 format.
- Isosurfaces - V-Ray 3.0 adds support for isosurfaces from volume grids using the VRayVolumeGrid node.
- Metaballs - a new VRayMetaball node is added for direct ray tracing of isosurfaces from particle systems.
- Probabilistic Light Sampling for optimized rendering calculations of scenes with many lights.
- Volume Shaders - Rendering volumetric effects including fluids, fire, smoke and heat haze is faster than ever using the built-in Phoenix FD volume shaders inside V-Ray 3.0.
- OpenVDB and Field3D Support - Industry standard volume formats including OpenVDB,Field3D, and Phoenix FD can be imported and rendered directly using the VRayVolumeGrid node.*
*OSX support for OpenVDB and Field3D is in development.
- Object-based and Ray Traced SSS - For added detail and realism, V-Ray 3.0 now supports subsurface scattering with object-based and ray traced illumination.
- New Skin Shader - V-Ray 3.0 includes a new VRaySkinMtl shader with multi-layered subsurface scattering and reflections.
- Pipeline Compatibility and Support for Open Standards
- Alembic 1.5 for data interchange
- GLSL for OpenGL shaders
- OpenColorIO for accurate color management
- OpenEXR 2.2 and Deep Images
- OpenSubdiv including support for creases
- OpenVDB and Field3D for volumes
- OSL for programmable shaders
- Ptex for UV-less workflows
- UDIM and UVTILE for advanced texture workflows
- OSL support for programmable shaders.
- OpenGL Shading Language [GLSL] - Load GLSL shader definitions using VRayGSLMtl andVRayGLSLTex shading nodes.
- New Shaders
- GGX Microfacet BRDF for better rendering of metal surfaces
- VRayCurvature to sample the curvature of an underlying mesh.
- VRayDistanceTex to return a specified color based on a point's distance to an object or group of objects.
- VRayRaySwitchMtl - utility texture capable of returning a specified color or texture when a surface is sampled by different ray types (GI, reflection, refraction, etc.)
- VRaySkinMtl - a dedicated skin shader with layered SSS and reflections.
- VRayTemperature allowing users to specify a Kelvin temperature or floating point RGB value.
- Multiple Texture Baking Options
- Baking to Vertex Color Sets
- Baking to Ptex
- Baking to UDIM
- Projection Baking
- V-Ray Frame Buffer - An improved V-Ray Frame Buffer adds Lens Effects, advanced color corrections and color management controls.
- OpenSubdiv - V-Ray 3.0 integrates Pixar's OpenSubdiv for subdivision surfaces and meshes and includes support for creases.
- Alembic - Import Alembic. ABC files using the V-Ray Proxy loader. V-Ray supports Alembic and .vrmesh files containing particles and hair.
- V-Ray Proxy Improvements - Optimized import, loading, preview, and rendering of V-Ray Proxy objects.